Friday, July 13, 2012

Soup for Santino

When I was growing up back in Ukraine, I was always told by teachers and parents and grandparents that soup is very healthy food and I should eat soup every day.

And I did. And I loved it. Chicken soup, red borshch (with beets and tomatoes), green borshch (with spinach), solyanka, meatball soup and all kinds of other soups. Soup was one of the first dishes I learned to make by myself. It is full of nutrients from the meat, the bones, and the vegetables that detoxify, nourish, boost immune system and help hydrating the body.




Soup is also great, because I don't have to go crazy every day coming up with various ideas "what to make for lunch for my toddler son". I know its always soup for lunch, he knows it, he expects it and he loves it.
Since I am a stay at home mom, my son doesn't go to daycare, so I am responsible for his morning activities, play at a park or going to play dates. When we come home, its lunch time, so his lunch needs to be ready to eat and fresh and nutritious. I had to come up with ideas how to be outside playing with my son in the park, and at home at the same time, preparing healthy lunch.

Soup is the answer!

We come home, and within 10-15 minutes a fresh soup is ready to be enjoyed before bedtime. I make different soups, too. Chicken noodle, vegetable and potatoes, tomatoes and bread, chickpeas soup, lentils soup, thick soups, clear soups, etc.

If I could do it, anybody can! Pre-cooking is the key. I make a big batch of chicken or vegetable broth, strain it, and keep in the mason jars in the fridge. If a hot broth is poured into a mason jar and immediately covered with the top, it seals tight and keeps the broth fresh. There are no preservatives in the homemade broth, so it needs to be kept in the fridge.

So I pour a little bit of broth in a small pot, add some pre-cooked veggies, like carrots, peas, beans (I often buy a bag of frozen pre-cooked veggies and keep it in the freezer, scoop one or two spoons ever day for a soup), broccoli or cauliflower. Add noodles, beat in an egg with some Parmesan cheese, and the soup is ready.

Santino, my 22 months old son, often likes drinking the broth first, scooping out the veggies and pasta after. Whatever the way, its all good, very healthy and a great way to keep a kid eating vegetables!

Soup recipes coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please do comment, we will get back to you soon.